Monday, April 13, 2009

LAX to TXL

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

He who would travel happily must travel light.
- Antoine de St. Exupery

Adventure must start with running away from home.
- William Bolitho


I’m sitting in LAX right now with a couple of hours until my flight departs. I’m waiting for Irene. Maybe she’s here and I just don’t recognize her. Could she be that girl with the pink Victoria’s Secret duffel? Or the surly looking chick in the headband? I’ll try to call her in a bit. I bought a copy of InStyle for the flight because it was the thickest one on the shelf.

I’m so excited to be going to Berlin! I can’t believe this day is finally here; it always felt like something happening in the very distant future. I remember the idea first originated last year back in Paris. I can recall hourlong conversations on the phone with Mathilde, debating the pros and cons of different options: Tokyo, Brazil, London, South Africa. I finally committed to Germany, and it feels like I’ve been anticipating this day for the past 5 months!

I’ve heard it’s a lot like America, but everything will feel fresh and new and poetic. I’ve heard Berlin is a romantic city, and a good place to find yourself, be creative, waste some time with going out, and gain a strong personality because the people there can be challenging. I picture a dirty, romantic city of artistic, graffiti covered subways; crumbling, bullet-ridden buildings; a murky gray coating of pollution; and underground parties that you need a secret password to get into. There’s supposedly a huge art scene, music scene, etc, and great nightlife. I imagine Berlin is full of hipsters/wannabe hipsters, living eccentric, avant-garde lifestyles. I’m looking forward to seeing how it’s different from America, and how I’m treated there, as an American. I hope I’ll be able to integrate into the culture and make some German friends. Maybe I’ll even develop a taste for beer. Or should I say bier? Maybe it will change my life. Travel tends to do that.
Of course, I’m sad to be leaving. I’ll miss my friends and family, especially my roomies back at UCR! (Rat wrangler!)


And so it begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment